Fantasia Feature Request

You name it!
ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: Fantasia Feature Request

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 am

Ah I see. on playback you can select the channel and see the notes played.

very nice.

Still cannot hear when I click on a key in the GUI. But I see that I can play my keyboard and hear the active channel that is connected to my keyboard and see the notes
So click on a track in rosegarden and that is the track that I will see in fantasia light up and hear!

very sweet!

I am so impressed by this. Once some polishing is done this is going to make a great addition to the linux audio world!

Thanks again!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am

For anyone who has not tried this awesome new feature. here is a screen shot:

Christopher Cherrett

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am

Nice. I didn't have time to test it all (just wanted to see what it looked like) so i didn't pick that up. :)

But it looks like you should rebuild LinuxSampler from latest CVS.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:56 am

ccherrett wrote:For anyone who has not tried this awesome new feature. here is a screen shot:
Did you hear sound when you made this screen shot? If so, this most probably means that you didn't use the latest linuxsampler CVS version:
2008-09-11 iliev
* don't retrieve key bindings and keyswitch bindings if the instrument is not loaded in the instrument manager
* notification events are now sent when sending MIDI messages using SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA lscp command
* fixed a bug in the keyswitch bindings retrieval
2008-09-10 iliev
* added new LSCP command: SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA which can be used by frontends to send MIDI messages to specific sampler channel
* added two additional fields to GET FILE INSTRUMENT INFO command - KEY_BINDINGS and KEYSWITCH_BINDINGS

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:21 am

grishata wrote:
ccherrett wrote:For anyone who has not tried this awesome new feature. here is a screen shot:
Did you hear sound when you made this screen shot? If so, this most probably means that you didn't use the latest linuxsampler CVS version:
2008-09-11 iliev
* don't retrieve key bindings and keyswitch bindings if the instrument is not loaded in the instrument manager
* notification events are now sent when sending MIDI messages using SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA lscp command
* fixed a bug in the keyswitch bindings retrieval
2008-09-10 iliev
* added new LSCP command: SEND CHANNEL MIDI_DATA which can be used by frontends to send MIDI messages to specific sampler channel
* added two additional fields to GET FILE INSTRUMENT INFO command - KEY_BINDINGS and KEYSWITCH_BINDINGS
Oh man :)

Sorry forgot to rebuild linuxsampler. :(

All works just exactly the way I saw it working. The one thing that would still be nice is being able to drag your mouse over the virtual keyboard.

Also being able to change the default velocity that the virtual keyboard plays.

All I can say is wow!
Christopher Cherrett

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:25 am

ccherrett wrote:At the end of the score it leaves keys lit. I am not sure how to change that if not note off is sent.
You can just click that key, or click on other channel and get back to the same channel. I'll add a Refresh command to the piano roll's context menu.
I think the problem here is:
CAUTION: no guarantee whatsoever will be made that MIDI events are actually all delivered by this mechanism! With other words: events could be lost at any time! This restriction was made to keep the RT-safeness of the backend's MIDI and audio thread unaffected by this feature.

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 am

ccherrett wrote:The one thing that would still be nice is being able to drag your mouse over the virtual keyboard.
I'll implement this.
ccherrett wrote:Also being able to change the default velocity that the virtual keyboard plays.
The velocity depends on where you hit the key. You can also control the note off velocity. For example, press the mouse button on some position and hold it down then move the mouse up or down and release the mouse button.
You can monitor this in the LS Console with the following command:

Code: Select all

SUBSCRIBE CHANNEL_MIDI

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:07 am

grishata wrote:
The velocity depends on where you hit the key. You can also control the note off velocity. For example, press the mouse button on some position and hold it down then move the mouse up or down and release the mouse button.
You can monitor this in the LS Console with the following command:

Code: Select all

SUBSCRIBE CHANNEL_MIDI
Ah very cool! I did not think of doing it that way :)
Christopher Cherrett

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 am

This looks like a bug:

in the VSL libraries they have basic instruments, part of those instruments is the all instrument that contains all the articulations and is changable via keyswitches. With the Doublebass if you are loading a normal stacato articulation, fantasia shows keyswitches overlapping the play range. The instrument still plays fine because there is not acctually any keyswitches there.

This is how it looks when there are keyswitches:

Christopher Cherrett

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:16 am

What about reserving a little control area to the left hand side for preferences? So you could have any controllers you need there. Like keyboard range.

Better yet what about taking a sliver above the keyboard for it? That way you do not mess with the playable area.
Christopher Cherrett