MIDI over LAN

You name it!
grishata
Developer

Re: MIDI over LAN

Post by grishata » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:52 pm

LOL. So much for Javas "compile once, run everywhere" (if you're correct).
The problem is that there is no Java 6 for PowerPC-based or 32-bit Intel-based Macs. Only for 64-bit Intel-based Macs.

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Ok, I see. So not even a universal binary...
Last edited by dahnielson on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

sbenno
Developer

Post by sbenno » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi,
about midi over LAN. I wrote EthernetMIDI as a free replacement for commercial windows tools ( $100 for such a simple program is quite expensive, considering it took me only a couple of evenings to implement it). EthernetMIDI is not particularly userfriendly in the sense that it cannot store settings so you have to recreate your setup each time you boot.
I wanted to make it more userfriendly (saving settings, seeing machines with their names by broadcasting messages on the LAN etc) but I need to find some spare time :)
For testing purposes I wrote some simple client for linux (alsa MIDI to network) compatible with EthernetMIDI but did not release it.
The goal would be a midi over network utility which works on all platforms (Linux,Windows,Mac) since such thing does not exist yet as everyone tries to cook his own soup.
NetJack looks interesting and since it transports audio too it could be interesting and perhaps makes EthernetMIDI obsolete.
Perhaps implementing a NetJack client on Windows as a VST plugin. This way you could use LinuxSampler on a Linux box and a VST sequencer on a Windows box which sends the MIDI data via netjack and gets back the rendered audio from LS in real time.
What do you think ?

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 am

Hi,
I use EthernetMIDI and would love to be able to help develop it more, but I'm not a programmer :cry:
It would be awesome to have it save settings and have a Linux client though. I was not aware of netjack, so will have to do some research on it. I recently discovered jackdmp with a Qjackctl build for windows and need to see if I can get that working with my ASIO driver too. Lots of things that I want to do, just have so little time to do it!

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

sletz

Post by sletz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:15 pm

Instead of a NetJack VST, i would be better to have a JackVST plugin. Actually it could be done starting from the JackVST code done in the JackOSX project (see http://jackosx.cvs.sourceforge.net/jack ... CK-insert/)

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 am

Hi,

Has anyone tried the ReaStream vst pluggin that comes with Reaper to route MIDI over LAN? The write up on it says that it can but I haven't tried it yet.

GrahamG

SpiralBlue

Post by SpiralBlue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm using MultiMIDICast http://llg.cubic.org/tools/multimidicast/ on my Linux and IPMidi http://nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html on the PCs. IPMidi is also available for MAC so you can run all 3 on your network and pass MIDI data back and forth. The only "license" you will pay for is the Windows version which will get 3 Windows PCs on the network. The Mac and Linux distros are free. I compiled the MultiMIDICast on my Debian box and you just run it and the ports show up in the JackRack (20 in, 20 out).

Unfortunately in my project I'm trying to move to a Linux "X-rack" (being the box that talks to all my hardware) with MultiMIDICast, an Axiom 61 and a MOTU MidiExpressXT, but as people have stated, MOTU isn't Linux friendly. So I'm stuck to flakey Windoze to do a really simple job, or junk my MOTU for a Edirol box and spend some money I'd rather spend on other gear.

This setup works well. Current tests have shown I can run multiple sequencer PCs and "DJ" the sequences back and forth in time sync along with both Sequencer PCs talk to the hardware. I'm going to add a Soft-rack next being a softsynth box that takes MIDI in from the network using MultiMIDICast relieving some sampler tasks and such on the sequencers.

I'd live to hear anyone elses successes, failures, or even a good hint how to save some money and make the MOTU work.

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 am

There is a windows port of multimidicast.

http://bitbucket.org/moumar/multimidica ... /wiki/Home

Saves having to purchase ipMidi

Cheers
Graham