Virtual Theatre Pipe Organs and Puppy Linux 4.0

You name it!
ggoodesa
Advanced User

Re: Virtual Theatre Pipe Organs and Puppy Linux 4.0

Post by ggoodesa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi All,

I have uploaded a 'How-To' for using Fantasia with Miditzer. Go to http://organs.110mb.com/Fantasia.htm

This includes information on creating an Orchestra, loading instruments into the Orchestra, then using those instruments to create the LinuxSampler channels. There are links in the How-to to using Jconv reverb with Puppy Linux and Ubuntu. Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

grishata
Developer

Post by grishata » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 pm

ggoodesa wrote:Hi All,

I have uploaded a 'How-To' for using Fantasia with Miditzer. Go to http://organs.110mb.com/Fantasia.htm
I just added a link to this HOWTO on the LinuxSampler site.
Thanks for your efforts!

Miditzerman

Post by Miditzerman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi all,
Things are really moving in the Virtual Theatre Organ world and I am amazed how stable LinuxSampler is, I don't think that anybody has complained about it crashing or loosing config files.

One thing that has got us a bit puzzled is the use of CC11 as an expression or Master volume control. We use CC7 as a volume control to set up the relative balance between the ranks or samples (Instruments?) but when we are playing we need to change the volume of everything by the same amount and we use CC11 to do this using one or more swell pedals that output on the MIDI channels concerned to each instrument. So CC7 would give a proportion of the total signal and CC11 would give a proportion of what CC7 left us with.

Is this incorporated in LinuxSampler at the moment and if not could it be added to our Wish List please?

Thanks, You guys are awesome.

Russ

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Miditzerman wrote:One thing that has got us a bit puzzled is the use of CC11 as an expression or Master volume control. We use CC7 as a volume control to set up the relative balance between the ranks or samples (Instruments?) but when we are playing we need to change the volume of everything by the same amount and we use CC11 to do this using one or more swell pedals that output on the MIDI channels concerned to each instrument. So CC7 would give a proportion of the total signal and CC11 would give a proportion of what CC7 left us with.

Is this incorporated in LinuxSampler at the moment and if not could it be added to our Wish List please?
Please see my reply here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=207#p1536

You can already use CC11 (I think it's called "foot" in gigedit) in your GIG instruments, but you have to edit you instrument to explicitly set what it will control.
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

Miditzerman

Post by Miditzerman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Alex wrote:Russ,
I'll assume here that you're going to use gig files, and proceed with a suggestion from there.

Open an instance of Fantasia, create an audio device, and a midi device.
Once created, go to the audio device, and increase the number of ports to reflect your wish, and in this instance we'll say 4 stereo pairs, or 8 mono.

Create new channels strips, one for each section, and on the right hand side of the section, click on the little arrow that expands the channel to reveal routing and assignment options. Assign a midi channel to each strip, (Fantasia will do this for you, at least for the first port), then go to the bottom right of the channel strip and assign your audio outputs. They come in pairs in the assignment box, so simply label them both the same if you wish a mono output, for each channel.

Alex.
Hi Alex,
I did as you suggested and it was fairly easy. I have got 3 sets and have them commoned up with Jack into one stereo amp at the moment as I haven't got the other amps running from Puppy Linux yet. Also I am testing out jconv and seeing how that fits into the picture. It is looking good.
Thanks for your help.

Russ

Miditzerman

Post by Miditzerman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:42 pm

dahnielson wrote:
Miditzerman wrote:One thing that has got us a bit puzzled is the use of CC11 as an expression or Master volume control. We use CC7 as a volume control to set up the relative balance between the ranks or samples (Instruments?) but when we are playing we need to change the volume of everything by the same amount and we use CC11 to do this using one or more swell pedals that output on the MIDI channels concerned to each instrument. So CC7 would give a proportion of the total signal and CC11 would give a proportion of what CC7 left us with.

Please see my reply here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=207#p1536

You can already use CC11 (I think it's called "foot" in gigedit) in your GIG instruments, but you have to edit you instrument to explicitly set what it will control.
Thanks, I see Graham beat me to it. :D

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 am

I've been out of the loop for a while but I'll jump back in here. :)

In my setup, I use the FX sends with CC11 as the controller to react to the swell signals. I send the FX outputs to the audio device and don't connect the main outputs. If you use QSampler, you have to manually write these FX sends into the LS script. Fantasia has them available in the interface. So no need for remapping, just use the FX sends.

If you have multiple output channels available like Russ, you route each channel's FX send to the audio channel you want.

I also have JConv compiled and running under 64Studio. It is configured for 2 channel input with 4 channels out to provide reverb to the front stereo channels and surround reverb to the rear channels.

Cheers
Graham Wykes

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:45 am

Hi All

I finally got back to my Miditzer machine to try out this new Puppy.

Congratulations Graham and Russ. This is a beauty. Everything went smoothly and I could even use the existing script with a minor change in the path to the gig files. JConv works exactly as expected (which is superbly).

Only major change I've made is to use Macpup for the interface. It is much less cluttered and has a dock that can be customised easily. Also, the menu button is at the top of the screen and so is not interfered with by the Miditzer icon when Miditzer is minimised.

The only "but" I have is when I tried the Ron Reseigh concert midi file, most of it is excellent but when it has really full registrations and lots happening, notes drop out all over the place. I assume that the polyphony limit is being hit - at least I hope that is what it is, as polyphony can be increased to solve it. My understanding is that this can be increased only at compile time. I don't know where this leaves us.

The other thing I have done for myself is to install everything and then remaster a new CD. This also worked without issue. Next step will be to remove all the applications I don't need to reduce the memory requirement. That way I can keep the whole thing running in RAM and disk speed becomes a non-issue for the samples - it's just like having a SSD.

Cheers
Graham

ggoodesa
Advanced User

Post by ggoodesa » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Graham,

Glad that you got everything working well so quickly! That is really what this project is all about :-)

I'm currently working on getting another build of linuxsampler/libgig etc together that is optimized for P4 and greater computers that will have 600note polyphony by default, with further download for those who want more polyphony (800notes) or less (400notes) depending on their hardware. Life has just been to busy to do what I have wanted to so far this month. I'll post here as well as on the VTPO Yahoo group when it's complete and ready for download. It looks like I should be able to use the CVS versions for this so we'll have all the updates/fixes included as well :P

I'm also working on some jOrgan dispositions to include in the project. Would you be interested in them?

Kind regards,

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa

moonskin
User

Post by moonskin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:02 am

ggoodesa wrote:Hi Graham,

Glad that you got everything working well so quickly! That is really what this project is all about :-)

I'm currently working on getting another build of linuxsampler/libgig etc together that is optimized for P4 and greater computers that will have 600note polyphony by default, with further download for those who want more polyphony (800notes) or less (400notes) depending on their hardware. Life has just been to busy to do what I have wanted to so far this month. I'll post here as well as on the VTPO Yahoo group when it's complete and ready for download. It looks like I should be able to use the CVS versions for this so we'll have all the updates/fixes included as well :P
That is excellent news. Thank you so much for your hard work. I know how time slips away. I made the changes to my puppy by running in and out amongst all the unexpected tasks that have been presenting themselves. (I'm helping Jim Henry to develop a new large switch matrix scanner for Midibox and I haven't been able to give it the time it deserves either.)

Here is a screenshot of my Macpup
I'm also working on some jOrgan dispositions to include in the project. Would you be interested in them?
I'd be interested to see them but I'm not too likely to try them. Miditzer is where my heart is. ;)

Having said that, I have another request :twisted: (Oh NO! he cries, not another thing for me to add... )

Aeolus is a superb classical/baroque organ synth from Fons Adriaensen (ie jconv). It would be nice somewhere down the track to have it available as well.

Cheers
Graham