MIDI Instrument Maps

You name it!
ccherrett
Advanced User

Re: midi instrument maps

Post by ccherrett » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:30 am

Hi Alex,

I just got the programchange event to fire on the same segment in rosegarden! :)

That is a very exciting thing for me.

I need to plan out my midi maps now. Do you create one large midi map with multiple banks or several midi maps each with one bank?

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett
Founder of The Open Octave Project
http://www.openoctave.org

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:27 pm

ccherrett,
I'm pleased you're making ground with this. Good to see another orchestral fellow join the community. :)

This is personal preference, but when you consider how many instrument/articulations you're going to be handling,
I opted for several maps, each with one bank. (My first violins run into two banks, so i have 1st violinsA, and 1st violinsB, each with one bank.)

This will make sense especially when you start using multiple ports in Rosegarden and Linuxsampler. Jack can handle as many ports as your hardware will, so you can afford to build a few, and not worry about having to condense things too much.

It's really quite easy to get into the swing of setting all this up, once you have some momentum, but it is a lot of work too, so i respectfully urge you to take your time and check what you're doing as you go. It's worth it for a trouble free setup.

When you've done everything, i also suggest you save the completed Rosegarden template as your default studio. This will ensure all that hard work you did setting up matching ports, in the midi devices window will stick across restarts.

So startup would go something like:

Jack :)
Linuxsampler backend
Fantasia, and wait till it's finished setting up your template
Rosegarden.

some notes on JackControl. (Qjackctl)

you can build a template in Jack that ensures your ports cable up correctly each time, and you do this from the jack patch window (patchbay.) When you make a new template it will ask you if you want to use existing connections. The answer is NO.
Each little icon you see in the patchbay window is called a socket, and you can have as many as you like.
I did a lot of experimenting with this, and ended up building a socket for each instrument, for both inputs and outputs.
1st violins LS output (socket 1, for example) with two audio output plugs, L and R.
And so on.

This saves a LOT of hassle handling large numbers of ports. :D

I strongly suggest you take your time here and label (and you can make aliases for both sockets and plugs) each socket and stereo pair of plugs, according to your setup with Linuxsampler, and whatever you're going to use for the audio. (Be aware rosegarden only handles 16 stereo pairs max.)

Good luck, and if you have more questions, please, ask. We're here to help as best we can.

Alex.

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Alex,

I am getting very little sleep researching all this stuff and getting ready to implement :)

As for audio tracks in rosegarden I think I would go straight to ardour rather than have rosegarden deal with any audio for me. I am much more comfortable with srdour than rosegarden for this. So the 16 audio tracks should not be a problem. Is this what you meant?

Just to say so. I am very happy with what is happening with my setup and again thanks! :)
Christopher Cherrett

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Chris,

Yes, straight to Ardour is good.
Same here, after a long spell trying to get additional midi ports in an app called Reaper, to, it seems, no avail.

Back to native for me.

Just in case you're not aware, the latest Rosegarden is out. (1.7.1.)

Regards,

Alex.

p.s. Saw your request for faster PC in Rosegarden on the dev list.
Good idea.
Anything to speed up artic changes input.!
:)

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 am

Hi Alex,

I have been in talks with Michael McIntyre about being able to switch events quickly in the matrix editor of rosegarden. They are busy right now working on porting to QT4 before QT3 is abandoned, so they cannot look at this now. However what I was thinking was a way to from the note level be able to right click or key command to create an event at that point. Even just record the time you are at for you and open the event list editor. Would be nice to see.

So for now I am mapping out my orchestra. Big job :)

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:42 am

In case you've missed it, about instrument and device maps: MIDI Instrument Map and Rosegarden. :)
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:06 am

Hi dahnielson,

Wow!

How did you know I was pondering writing a script to do that! So cool!

Did you write the script?

Thanks a lot!
Christopher Cherrett

dahnielson

Post by dahnielson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 am

Yep, I wrote it. Just beware that comments (lines starting with a #) has a special meaning to the script (they're used as bank names).
Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, Linuxsampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, Axiom 61, Korg D12, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland R-5, Roland HP 1300e, Zoom RFX-1000, 4GB RAM x86_64 Intel Pentium Dual 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm

I had to go through the code to understand how to use it so I decided to add some error handling and some commandline options

http://www.tsiwebdesign.com/testing/lscp2rgd.py

so python lscp2rgd.py -h gives you:

Usage: lscp2rgd.py [-f]

Options:
--version show program's version number and exit
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-f FILE, --file=FILE name of lscp file to convert
-q, --quiet don't print status messages to stdout
-v, --verbose print verbose output

I just thought is would be easier to use for the none programmer sort.

Thanks again!
Christopher Cherrett

ccherrett
Advanced User

Post by ccherrett » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi dahnielson,

One more thing. Did you use # for bank names because fantasia did not output names and rosegarden needs them?

Thanks!
Christopher Cherrett