Splash!

You name it!
Alex

Splash!

Post by Alex » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 am

A really simple question.
If i want to use the Linuxsampler splash when booting up (you know, to get me in the mood for a long day writing) how do i do this? Where do the files go?

Alex.
:)

cuse
Developer

Re: Splash!

Post by cuse » Sat May 10, 2008 10:03 am

Not so easy as you might think. ;) Depends on the distribution and especially which kind of splash environment you're using. I'm using fbsplash on Gentoo:

http://fbsplash.berlios.de/wiki/doku.php

and I have a directory /etc/bootsplash/linuxsampler which contains the LS theme. You need to enable console frambuffer support and support for fbsplash in the Linux kernel at compile time. Then you also need to enable those two features when launching the kernel. I do that with a respective "kernel" line in the grub configuration file:

Code: Select all

title  Gentoo GNU/Linux (1280x1024)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A splash=silent,theme:linuxsampler quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd=(hd0,0)/boot/fbsplash-linuxsampler-1280x1024
The "vga=" parameter defines the resolution you want to use on the console:

1280x1024 -> 0x31A
1024x768 -> 0x317
800x600 -> 0x314

I simply made multiple entries in grub, so I can switch the resolution, e.g. when i have to connect an older screen or something.

I think I also had to create the file /boot/fbsplash-linuxsampler-1280x1024 (and the respective ones for the other resolutions) explicitly with a tool included with the "splashutils" package. But I can't remember how exactly anymore, but there are various HOWTOs on the net which will certainly tell you.

Before I used the "bootsplash" kernel patch instead of fbsplash to be able to use boot splash themese, but I switched to fbsplash because the bootsplash patch was quite huge and it often made problems to patch newer kernel versions with the patch. I had to adjust the patch manually etc. That was quite annoying. The fbsplash patch however is very very small and I think its already integrated in the official kernel sources IRC. Or at least its integrated in the kernel sources of most major Linux distribution. So that got a lot easier.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know.

Alex

Re: Splash!

Post by Alex » Sat May 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Yep, Suse is using bootsplash. I'll have to research this i think, but in the meantime, the LS pic makes a nice desktop background.

Alex.

:)